Dialog Box


Migration, visas and hepatitis


People living with hepatitis B or C may not have their visa approved because they have not met health standards set by the Australian government. While it is entirely possible for these individuals and their partners to successfully be granted a visa, the process can sometimes be challenging.

Hepatitis Victoria has produced an easy to understand introductory resource to support those affected in understanding how hepatitis B affects their visa application and some processes along the way.


The Australian visa applicants and hepatitis resource is now available for download in several languages, including:

English (order hard copies)






Further information

Contact us if you would like printed copies of the brochure in any of the languages above. 


Frequently asked questions

Can a person who is living with hepatitis B or hepatitis C migrate to Australia?

Yes they can. However, every case will be different and the Australian Government takes into account where a person is migrating from, their age, how long they have been living with hepatitis, and what they intend to do in Australia, among other factors.

What are the steps involved when applying for a visa if I have hepatitis?

1. Complete a health examination with an approved doctor as a part of your visa application.

2. The Medical Officer of the Commonwealth (MOC) will review your results and decide if you meet the health requirement.

3. If you do meet the health requirement, your visa application will continue. If you do not meet the health requirement and your visa has the Public Interest Criterion (PIC) 4007, submit a health waiver.

4. If a health waiver is granted, your visa application will continue.

If the health waiver is not granted, you can appeal this decision to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT).

Can I do my health examination with any doctor?

Unfortunately no. For immigration purposes, all health examinations conducted within Australia must be completed by a doctor managed by BUPA or BUPA medical visa services. To locate your closest clinic and book an appointment visit the BUPA medical visa services website:

For those applying outside of Australia, the health examination must be completed by a Panel physician approved by the Australian government. A list of Panel Physicians by country is available on the Department of Home Affair’s website:

Where can I find more information?

Australasian Society for HIV, Viral Hepatitis and Sexual Health Medicine (ASHM) – Hepatitis B and immigration

Department of Home Affairs – Health requirement fact sheet 

 Return to Stigma and Discrimination