New Hepatitis C medications from 1st March
28 January 2016
• A cure is available and everyone is entitled to it
• It’s not like the old treatment (instead it’s short term, less toxic, daily tablets)
• The drugs will be here from 1 March so start talking to your doctor.
• You may need a range of tests before you get treatment
• Initially there may be high demand for the treatment
• Be patient, and stay engaged with your doctor until its available for you
Can my GP prescribe the treatments?
Yes GPs will be able prescribe the new medicines, but they have to do so in consultation with a specialist (hepatologist, gastroenterologist or infectious diseases physician).
If you have severe liver scarring or cirrhosis, your GP may refer you to a specialist for assessment and treatment
Also, you may need to have a range of tests to see how healthy your liver is before deciding the best treatment, so it may take a while.
Will I be able to pick up a script from my local pharmacist?
Yes you will be able to do this. But not all pharmacists will stock the new drugs, and so you might have to wait while they order them in.